2010年1月25日星期一

In memory of last email from my mentor

Thank you. It was very nice being your mentor. If you ever happen to
come to the US, you are also free to visit me. I live in the Southwest
NM, which I find very beautiful (although it is a desert -- which some
people don't like).

I think you have a tremendous amount of potential to do amazing things
in Computer Science. Here are my top 5 things to remember for success
in life:

-- You are capable of far more then you realize.

-- Everyone has something to teach you. Listen to all those around you,
but make your own judgments on if they are right or not.

-- Challenge yourself. If you are having an easy semester, you haven't
signed up for the right classes

-- Don't be afraid to fail spectacularly. One of the reasons why I
think all students should write a kernel module is because a
poorly-behaved kernel module can take your whole system down, destroy
data, etc....but once that has happened a couple of times, you are no
longer intimidated by the prospect of failure, and you can start really
learning.

-- Have fun. Get outside. Exercise. Enjoy nature. Life shouldn't be
all computer science. Pick at least one hobby that has nothing to do
with computers and go out and do it at least once a week.

Feel free to email me anytime. Just because I am no longer officially
your mentor does not mean we cannot communicate :)

Sonja Tideman

没有评论:

发表评论